Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Car Accident

On Feb 17, 2013 I was dressed in the proverbial black dress to go out for a belated Valentine's Day Dinner dance with my husband while driving our son to the sitter's. At the corner of her street, our car was struck from behind. I estimate the collision speed at around 50-55 mph. I had been slowing to make the turn, when suddenly I realized our car was no longer in the right location, or even facing the right direction.

"Ow!" my son cried! I asked what was wrong. "I hit my head. Mommy, why did I hit my head?"

Photo Credits: Photocentric Photography

Yes, the accident occurred that quickly. I turned to look for the other car, only to see nothing. My sitter looked out the window, wondering why we didn't come to the house after she heard "the car door slam" only to see me wandering in the street, the car totaled. Together, we wrenched open the back door to get to my son. That door would never shut again.

It was a very cold evening. I let my son go off with the babysitter, and never saw saw him again that night. I didn't kiss him and hug him. I didn't tell him how much I love him. I only thought he would be safer and warmer in the house while I waited for the police and my husband. This fact haunts me. I realize now how severely I hit my head that evening. A concussion was in the making.

The next few hours were an exercise in patience - as anyone who's ever needed to wait for police & a tow truck must know. The lady who struck us said she never saw us, even though she'd been driving behind us for nearly a mile. She said she was OK when I checked on her at the scene of the accident. I have no way to verify that.

It's been months now, and this is my story of recovery.

Have you ever been in a car accident? Were you injured? I would like to hear about your journey (and your families' journey) back to health.